I’ve seen these called Twice Baked Zucchini, but that name is not as fitting as Zucchini Boats. These Cheesy Zucchini boats are a wonderful side dish. You can spice them up or down depending on who will be eating. They’re great served with BBQ dishes, pork chops, or grilled chicken.
Cheesy Zucchini Boat Recipe
These Zucchini Boats are reminiscent of Jalapeno Poppers. They’re the perfect side to BBQ or pork chops.
Note: I do not measure the ingredients in this recipe. The measurements noted below are estimates.
- 1 large Zucchini
- Zucchini flesh (even the seeds), mashed
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Onion powder to taste (I usually do a few shakes)
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to a low setting (170ºF – 200ºF)
- Cut the zucchini into quarters. Scoop out the seeds and flesh, then set aside
- Place the zucchini skin side up on a baking sheet and bake on a low setting for 20-30 min to remove some of the moisture
- Remove the zucchini from the oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes. While cooling, increase the oven temperature to 375ºF
- Mix together the remaining ingredients. Using a spoon fill each “boat” with the cheese and sour cream mixture
- Bake for 25-30 min or until turning golden on top
Zucchini Boat Recipe Tips
Here are a few suggestions and tips when making Cheesy Zucchini Boats.
- Sear the Jalapeno before dicing for extra flavor
- Add a little salt to the quartered zucchini boats before placing in the oven to help extract some of the moisture
All photos in this post were taken by cookingbylt. To see more food ideas, follow me on Instagram.