These poppers are loaded with cheese and are perfect for those who enjoy a spicy kick. Great for even low-carb and keto diets, these poppers are simple to prep and require few ingredients. Even better, the poppers take less than 20 minutes to prep before going into the oven. They’re the perfect snack for game day, celebrations, and even for a camping trip!
Jalapeno Poppers Recipe
- 6 jalapeños
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 bacon slices, halved (optional)
- Chili powder to taste (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
Directions for the Oven
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Slice the jalapeños in half length-wise. Scrape out the pith and seeds with a spoon. Set aside
- In a bowl, mix together the cream cheese, shredded cheese, garlic, salt, pepper, and optional chili powder
- Using a spoon, fill the halved jalapeños with the cheese mixture
- If using bacon, wrap half of a slice around each jalapeño
- Place on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for 30 min
- Let rest for 10 minutes before serving
Directions for Camping Jalapeños Poppers
- Prepare as instructed above through step 5
- Store in a container and place in refrigerator or cooler until ready to cook
- To cook, wrap loosely in foil and place on a grate over a hot campfire for about 1 hour
- The poppers are done when the bottoms are seared and cheese is hot and turning golden in color
Tips for Making Jalapeño Poppers
While these jalapeño poppers are simple to prep, below are a few considerations:
- When prepping the jalapeños, you may want to wear a pair of gloves. Even after washing your hands, that jalapeño juice tends to linger. You certainly wouldn’t want to touch your eyes!
- While great cooked in the oven, these poppers also make an excellent camping snack. Prep in advance and place in a fridge or cooler when a sealed container. When it’s time to cook, wrap the poppers loosely in foil and place on a grate over hot coals or fire. They’re done when the cheese is melty and the jalapeños are seared.
- Have you ever taken a bite of pizza fresh out of the oven? Ouch! Don’t make the same mistake with these. You’ll want to let these poppers cool a few minutes before eating. The cheese will be hot as lava when first taken out of the oven.
These cheesy and spicy poppers are great on their own, but if you want to add extra flavor, try these tips:
- Wrap each popper in half a slice of bacon before cooking. Use a toothpick to secure the bacon around the popper if need be.
- For an extra spicy kick, sprinkle a few seeds into each jalapeño slice.
Fact: The pith and seeds hold the most heat thanks to a component called capsaicin. Keeping a few seeds in each jalapeño will make them spicier while removing the seeds will make the jalapeños milder.
All photos in this post were taken by cookingbylt. To see more food ideas, follow me on Instagram.