Fra Diavolo is a thin, tomato-based sauce. It’s intended to have a spicy kick which makes it tasty over seafood and pasta. This sauce is perfect to cook up for a date night or special occasion.
This Fra Diavolo sauce calls for flavorful ingredients, including fresh basil, onion, a healthy amount of garlic, and chili pepper flakes. It will leave your mouth with a tingly burn, so be sure to adjust the spice level accordingly!
Spicy Fra Diavolo Recipe
- 1 28 oz can of whole canned tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tsp hot pepper flakes*
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup starchy pasta water
- Pepper to taste
- Seafood (optional)**
- Pour the can of whole canned tomatoes into a bowl. Crush by hand and set aside
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the onion and cook about 3 min, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook 1-2 minutes
- Add the dry white wine and simmer for 10 minutes
- Pour in the tomatoes, add the chili pepper flakes, basil, and pepper
- Cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes
- Add the starchy water to thin the sauce and stir
- Serve over spaghetti or linguine and top with parmesan
*I use 2 tsp of hot pepper flakes which will leave your mouth with a slow burn. If you want more or less of a spicy punch, adjust to your preferred spice level.
**If adding seafood, cook the seafood first. Add to the sauce for the last 5 minutes of the simmer. I’ve used.
- Any sauce is best when allowed to simmer. This Fra Diavolo sauce is no different. Allow it to simmer for at least 30 minutes once all ingredients (except the seafood) are added.
- If you prefer thinner sauce, add additional starchy water 1/4 cup at a time.
- Adjust the spice. The two teaspoons of pepper flakes will leave you with a slow burn in your mouth. Kick up the heat by adding more or cut it back if you want less spice.
- What should Fra Diavolo sauce be served over? This sauce is best served over spaghetti or linguine. Linguine is the favorite at our house.
- Try different types of seafoods in this recipe or use a combo of different seafood. Over time, I’ve used lobster, calamari, and shrimp. Other times, I won’t include any meat.
- This recipe calls for red chili pepper flakes. There are many spicy pepper flakes out there, including some blends. Be sure to adjust the measurement to account for spice level!
Don’t forget the parmesan and enjoy!
All photos in this post were taken by cookingbylt. To see more food ideas, follow me on Instagram.